Sunday, December 2, 2007

COOKIES!!!!!

For about 3 years, I have been part of a little potluck group that meets once a week and hangs out. Since then, we started doing a cookie exchange every Christmas and it's been so much fun. I really look forward to it. This year instead of doing the exchange with all the families, just the moms are getting together and having a girls night out cookie exchange. I am really excited about it!

We have 12 signed up so that means I get to make 12 dozen cookies plus another dozen to eat at the party. It is a lot of baking but it sure is fun. Plus I get to come home with 12 dozen different varieties. Yummy!

I decided to make a recipe that mother-in-law shared with me when I first married Stephen and they are so good. They are called Peppernuts. They take a long time to make but it's worth it.
I would love to share the recipe with you too. (They make great gifts for Christmas.)

1 C sugar

1 C butter, softened

2 eggs, well beaten

1/2 C light corn syrup

1/2 C honey or molasses

1/3 C water

6 2/3 C flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 C chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients. Dough should be stiff. Roll into long slender rolls (about 1/2 inch diameter). Place on greased cookie sheet. Separate layers with wax paper. Chill until firm. Cut into small round pieces (about a 1/4 inch thick). Place on baking sheet and bake at 400 for approx. 12-15 minutes or until brown.

No comments: