Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Another Meal

Since I know some mommies (and daddies) are reading my blog, I want to help give some ideas to make your lives easier. In fact these things can be helpful for anyone reading this. I have learned so much in the past few years so I would love to share some of those things with you.
One of those areas is making meals. Sometimes I have days where it's hard for me to think about making dinner. I don't want to make the same ol' thing all the time and I want it to be healthy and yummy too. I try to make all of our food from scratch to save money and our health. Before I give the recipe, I want to share what has helped me to think through our dinners so that they are not last minute all the time. I have started taking a block of time where I can sit and plan a menu for the week. Yes, it takes some effort but it is well worth it. It also saves multiple trips to the grocery store. I keep the list in my kitchen drawer so I can refer to it throughout the week. Now when Stephen asks what we are having for dinner, I actually have an answer other than "I am not sure yet." (most of the time ;).
Here is one recipe that we enjoy that my mother-in-law gave me when I married Stephen. It has stood the test of time so I thought I would share it with ya'll. It is Chicken pot pie. It's easy and not much to clean up. My kind of meal!

2 cups chicken, diced and cooked
1 cup chicken broth (sometimes I use vegetable broth)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can of mixed veggies (or steamed fresh/frozen veggies, to make it healthier)
1 cup milk
1 cup unbleached flour
3 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp butter, melted

Mix chicken, broth, soup, and veggies in large bowl. Spread evenly into baking dish.
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over mixture and evenly spread. Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Happy Baking!

3 comments:

The Via Colony said...

Meal times are not my favorite, so I have implemented the menu tactic as well. My momma has taught me well! That sounds like a good recipe, thanks=)

The Via Colony said...

THANK YOU for the Christmas card=) We're speachless!!

Jules said...

Ooo--keep posting! I'm always looking for new recipes. Seems like I always serve the same old rotation. Mainly because Scott is SOOOO picky.