Thursday, December 13, 2007

Baking blues

I have had rough couple days with baking. Has anyone ever had those times? I consider myself pretty good at baking and cooking but I am starting to doubt myself. In the past couple days, I have ruined 2 batches of toffee and a loaf of bread. I know I shouldn't get worked up about it but it is sad that I have wasted so many ingredients. Boo Hoo. I am not trying to complain about it but I have to vent somehow today. I thought my blog would be a good place.
I am not sure why I ruined the bread. I make it at about once a week so it's not that I am new at making it. It has really baffled me why it came out so dense. Hmmmmm......
As far as the toffee, it was my first time making it so that makes it a little easier. The first batch I made, I cooked it too long so I burned it. Then the second batch ended up doing some funky foam thing so I couldn't see that it was burning. I found out later that the butter seperated from the sugar. My sweet hubby experimented last night and this morning to try to figure out the trick to making it good. He figured out that adding water helps it cook effectively if it seperates. Yet, his batches came out a little too runny. I actually don't feel so dumb now bc I think Stephen got the same bewildered feeling I have.
Wow! Who knew toffee could be so hard to make???? Oh well. I will try again next week, after my frustration subsides and we have more money for butter and sugar ;).
Ya know, I feel better already. I think I am about ready to try the bread again......
Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Building Walls said...

Been there done that... bread is one of my favorite things to make.. DEFINITLY my favorite thing to eat... but-while it sounds like you're not used to it not turning out... my sucess ratio is not great. I can't quite ever tell what i'm doing wrong... when other times it turns out so well. HMMM... those good ones are worth it though!

The Via Colony said...

I must say you are a better kitchen diva than me, even on your worst day if you are making your own bread and toffee=)

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. Ya'll are sweet.