Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My bikin' husband


My husband, Stephen, is an avid cyclist. No, his bike doesn't have a loud engine and radio to listen to. His bike is powered by his own legs and the music comes from his occassional outbursts of singing. He has been cycling ever since I have known him but he has gotten into racing just this year. I have to say, I really admire his perseverance and dedication to this sport. Last Sunday, he was in a race about an hour away and it was really fun. It started later in the morning and it was way out in the middle of nowhere. The temperature was in the low 30's and it was a beautiful day. Jubal and I bundled up and waited for the racing to begin
Throughout the race, Jubal and I drove to different stops to see Stephen go by. Cowbells in hand we cheered him on and helped with whatever Stephen needed. Jubal is so cute too. He is such a big helper and gets a kick out of seeing his daddy. I love it!
After about 4 hours, we headed back to the finish and waited for my incredible husband to come through. After an hour I saw Stephen riding through the woods on his way to the finish line. Jubal and I screamed, rang our bells, and acted pretty ridiculous as Stephen approached. He finished! I was so proud of him. During the awards ceremony, we found out that Stephen won 9th in his category; singlespeed. (A singlespeed bike is one that uses only one gear instead of many different gears. So, he uses the same gear going up hill as he does down and on flats. Pretty wild, huh?) He really enjoys the challenge. What a great day. We all had so much fun and enjoyed being outside in God's creation. What a wonderful way to end this season of racin'. I am definitely looking forward to next year.



No comments: