Monday, November 19, 2007

Faithfulness

Faithfulness is an attribute that means a lot to me. Over the past 9 or so years, it has been an area that I have struggled in, questioned over, and grown in.
Last night, Stephen and I watched the movie called Evan Almighty. The movie is a modern day story of Noah and the flood. A congressman, named Evan has lots of money, a huge and magnificent house, and a beautiful wife and 3 boys. One day things "randomly" start happening. A box of antique tools arrive at his door, Gopher wood starts being dropped off in his yard, animals in groups of 2 follow him everywhere he goes, and so on. Then, God shows up to have a talk with him. He asks Evan to build an Ark. Evan thinks he is going crazy and questions God why he was chosen to do something that seemed absolutely ridiculous. Eventually God (Morgan Freeman) answers, "Because I love you.".
This is a lesson that I have been learning about for so long and will continue to learn as long as I am on this earth. There have been times in my life that I have wondered why I have been chosen by God to do some things that just don't make sense. I still don't have all the answers but I do know that God loves me. He wants what is best for me and He wants me to bring much deserved glory to Himself. Being faithful to Him isn't always easy and we don't always know the end result. Those that do what God calls them to do may even be made fun of and told that there are other ways to live. Yet, in the end, God is sovereign. He knows what is best for His children. His plans are so much bigger and better and He wants us to be a part of that. How incredible! The God that made this world, who miraculously created us, wants us to be part of His design and purpose. I feel so privileged and humbled to take part in that.
The life Noah had on earth is pretty incredible. He listened to God and put it to practice. He had enough faith that God was going to do what He said He was going to do. Think about it; God asked Noah to build an Ark. Noah had no idea what that was because it never rained where he lived. Yet, Noah did it. It took him quite a few years to finish it too. The people around him made fun of him, yet he was convinced of who God is. Then God made the rest happen. In the end, Noah's family was spared death and they saw the work of God in their lives. I pray that my faithfulness will be like Noah's. I may not ever have to build an Ark, but I want my love for and faithfulness to Christ to be strong enough to build an Ark if He told me to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the story of Noah again. Its one we've heard so many times as a child and can forget what a powerful story it really is. Noah was awesome to put us with the ridicule he must have gotten for so many years as he built the ark. His faithfulness is one to follow.
I too pray to have that same faithfulness. If God asks we'll just build an ark together! :)

We're looking forward to hanging out with you guys over Thanksgiving! I'm so thankful we are a part of the same family!