Monday, November 26, 2007

Getting my way

I am currently reading a book called "The Language of Love" by Gary Smalley and John Trent. It's a great book so far and I am really learning a lot. I have been learning about word pictures and how to use them in enhancing communication in relationships. I thought I would try one out today because my son demonstrated one so well for me, as he does almost daily.
Jubal wanted to play with something that I didn't want him to and when I told him no, he fell on the floor and cried like it was just breaking his little heart. I felt bad and really wanted to give in but I knew that would not be in his best interest. Instead I lovingly explained to him that it was not a toy and we need to take care of it. After some more tears he left it alone and 1 minute later he is fine. God really used that for me as a huge lesson. There have been times (and still are) in my life where I have wanted something so bad that I literally think about it all the time. When I am told that I can't have it or it's not time, I have my little temper tantrums. I can just picture God kneeling down beside me to comfort me and to tell me lovingly, "Not right now, Rhonda." or "No, Rhonda. This is not in your best interest." Those moments are hard to accept but after a while I put it God's hands and trust that He knows what is best for me. I have realized today that when I don't get what I want, it's okay. It's not the end of the world. I need to be thankful for the many blessings that I do have and partake in. God knows the bigger picture and He is in control.
As Jubal gets older, he will be able to discern more about what he can have or not. He will understand more what my desires for him will be. The same is with me and Christ. The more mature I get and the more I get to know Christ, my desires will line up with His.
I am so thankful for these valuable life lessons. They can be hard but in the long run, they make me stronger and more like Jesus. That is what I want more than anything.

1 comment:

The Via Colony said...

Wow, that's an awesome illustration. Very humbling to think about our own wants and temper-tantrums compared to our kid's.