Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Smells like lemons


I have a fantastic herb growing in our yard that has some great uses. It's called Lemon Balm. I highly recommend growing it if you can. I learned last year that it's a good mosquito repellant and also good for bug bites. Jubal gets attacked by mosquitos during the summer and I feel so bad for him. I have tried all kinds of bug sprays (good and bad) and they have not worked. After I got the lemon balm (because of the smell and hardiness) I learned about the bug repelling properties. And boy does it work. Just take some leaves and rub them on your skin. It's amazing. Jubal was mosquito bite free after this little treatment and he smelled good too. For on the go families, you can make a spray out if it too. Just grab a handful of leaves and boil them in a little water. The stronger the better; you really can't go wrong. Drain the leaves and let the water cool. Put in a little spray bottle and you've got your very own homemade mosquito repellant.

Lemon balm can also be made into a tea for adding some calmness and relaxation. Throw a handful in your bath water and you can have a relaxing bath. There are many recipes that you can use Lemon balm in as well. The possibilities are endless.

So there ya go! Bye Bye mosquitos!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Wow. Thank you! I have this all over my flower borders but we've been calling it lemon thyme. I knew I could put it in tea but I had no idea about the bug repellant! I love that! This stuff spreads like crazy, too. And it isn't fragile (which is very important for a plant that wants to survive at our house!)