Thursday, May 28, 2009

Strawberries Strawberries



Have you ever spent money on something that you totally regretted after the fact? Well, that happened to me yesterday. I am a pretty thrifty person but yesterday I went against my better judgement. For the past 3 years, the U-Pick farms in our area have not had good strawberry crops. As a result, we have bought strawberries from roadside stands or the farmer's market. I appreciate those establishments very much but I also enjoy taking Jubal to pick berries at a farm. Finally this year, I thought I hit the jackpot. The first part of May, I called a farm right up the road and the owner said they would have some. She said to call at the end of the month. So I did. But it was to no avail. No strawberries to pick this year....bummer. So, I decided to go to a tailgate market to buy some. There was only one stand and the berries were 3 dollars a pint. That's about 15 strawberries...maybe. In my reckless desire to have strawberries this year, I went ahead and bought 2 pints. 6 bucks. I know that may not sound like a lot but when I bought a gallon today for 8 bucks, that made me regret the purchase all the more. Oh well, I try to make tasty lemonade out of life's lemons so I wanted to make these strawberries count for something. So, last night I made muffins using a recipe I found on the internet. They ended up being very good. I would like to pass it on to my readers so you can enjoy them too. I have a few berries left over to add to some cereal. Yummy. I am thankful that I found some berries this morning at a little stand to make jam with. That really makes the start of my summer feel so good! I think I am feeling better already. At least there is another lesson learned for me to tuck away in my mind. For that I am thankful.

Strawberry Muffins

1/4 cup veggie oil
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped berries

Mix oil, milk, egg and vanilla in a bowl. Set aside. Mix dry ingredients in seperate bowl. Toss stawberries into dry mixture. Add oil mixture in and mix gently until well blended. Pour into muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Put in 375 degree oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool.






2 comments:

Maggie Elliott said...

mmm... can you also post your jam recipe? I made strawberry jam last year but it called for SOOO much sugar.

Rhonda said...

Maggie, I use the recipe in the pectin box. (The one that calls so a ton of sugar.) There is pectin out there that you don't have to use as much or any sugar. I just don't know how it tastes. There are also ways to make it using juice but I have never done that either. I am sure you can find something on it via internet. Thanks for asking!