Monday, February 2, 2009

I love soup. And for some reason this winter, I have been on a soup hunting kick. So far I have found some pretty good recipes. I just think it's so nice to sit down with the wonderful fam on a cold cold night and enjoy a warm bowl of soup. Ya can't beat it. Tonight I tried a new and super easy recipe for Broccoli and Cheese soup. Jubal isn't a huge fan of broccoli for some reason so I was wondering if he would like it. He did..... He pretty much gobbled it up. What a nice feeling.

Here's the recipe from Cooking Light:

1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken/vegetable broth
1 (16-ounce) package broccoli florets or 2 cups fresh broccoli
2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese

Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.


I will continue to post recipes that I find very yummy. Let me know what you think if you try them. I would love to hear how they turned out!

No comments: