Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What an itchy day!

This morning when we woke up, I noticed Jubal had a little bump on his ankle. It looked like a mosquito bite. I thought that was kind of strange since it's still winter but I just put some ResQ ointment on it and didn't think anymore about it. Then about 45 minutes later, Jubal told me that his lip hurt and he had a bubble on it. I looked down and the right side of his lip was double in size. Then I noticed his feet were swollen and had little red bumps all over them. As I investigated, I found red bumps all around his waist, on the back of his legs and on his arms. Hmmmmm..... I was kind of worried. Then it dawned on me...chicken pox! No way! Did he have them? I called his dr. (he is awesome) and he encouraged me to make an appointment to get Jubal checked out. When we got there, the nurse rushed him into a room like we had a plague. We should say Jubal might have chicken pox every time now :). After waiting about 35 minutes for the doctor to come in (his pediatrician was off today), I noticed his bumps were disappearing and had been replaced with rashes. After a quick look over, the dr. determined he has hives. Poor little guy. Kids can get hives from viruses?!?!? Pretty crazy stuff. So now my little guy is dealing with "itchy bubbles" (as he calls them) and an off and on fever as well as cough. I feel so bad for him. Needless to say, my son has the showtimes memorized on PBS and has become one with the couch. He doesn't have much energy to do anything else. Hopefully the hives is just a sign of the end of this virus.
Whew! What a day!

3 comments:

The Via Colony said...

Ahh, poor little guy. I'm not looking forward to chicken pox with my kids=(

Jules said...

I was about to pack up Norah to join you for a chicken pox party! As much as I don't want her to be sick, I'd rather her have wild pox as a child than get the vax or worry about it as an adult. I hope Jubal feels better. (and if the real chicken pox should arrive...can we come over for a slumber party??)

Rhonda said...

Sorry we can't have a chicken pox party...bummer! If he gets them one day, I will let you know. Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a long virus (a little over 2 weeks) and I am ready for him to get better. I feel so bad for him.