Thursday, January 1, 2009

This is a good one!

I love Indian food. I love it especially when I can make it ;). I have had quite a few disasters attempting to make it. Despite my intimidation with it now, I tried making this super easy recipe. It's not the real thing but it's really good. If you like Indian food, you will really like this dish. It's called Chicken Curry in a hurry and I got it out of a Real Simple magazine. If you make it, let me know what you think!

1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 C plain yogurt
3/4 C heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (optional)
1 rotisserie chicken (I used just regular chicken that I had cooked, seasoned with salt and pepper)
2 C cooked white rice (optional)
1/4 C fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in curry powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add yogurt and cream. Simmer gently for 3 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, and tomatoes (if using). Remove from heat. Slice or shred chicken, discarding skin and bones. Divide the rice (if using) and chicken among individual bowls and spoon sauce on top. Sprinkle with cilantro.

*Because we love garlic, I added about 3 cloves to the sauce. Tasty!

**You can also have pita bread as a substitute for rice.

1 comment:

Maggie Elliott said...

This was awesome!! Sooo good! Curtis said the only problem was that he could eat the whole thing!! =) I stirred the chicken into the sauce bc I wanted to it absorb as much as possible.