Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chicken fun

I remember the days when my mom would buy a whole chicken/turkey and I would watch her prepare it for dinner. I would usually start feeling nauseous seeing the giblets being taken out and the raw meat in her hands. I never thought I would try it myself one day. Well, here is proof that a girl's gag reflex can stay subdued......I bought a whole chicken the other day and actually cooked it. As I was washing it off and holding it in my hands I knew my mom would be proud. Smile.

I was at Ingles shopping for basic things and I saw that they had Tyson chicken on sale. If you look closely at the picture, with a magnifying glass ;), you will see that the chicken I bought was only $3.45. I had to do a quadruple take on it. (The meat guy probably thought I was crazy...no comments please....) You can't beat that price for dinner plus a couple more bucks for potatoes, carrots, and an onion. Perfect.



In case you have never cooked a whole chicken, it's really easy and I highly encourage my fellow carnivores to try it. It's so easy too. All you have to do is wash the chicken off with cool water, pull out the giblet bag and plop the chicken in the crockpot (or roaster).

I made a concoction of spices. It included thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. About 1/2 tsp each, give or take. Rub it on the chicken.



I also made a broth from an Edward 'N Sons "Not Chicken" bouillon cube. I thought it was funny since it's an imitation chicken broth and I was using it on REAL chicken ;)
No, I have not been cooped up in the house too long.....

I added potatoes, carrots and an onion. Pour 2 cups of Broth over all the food. You may need to add water to cover the veggies so they will cook evenly. Do so at your discretion.



Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on High for about 4-6 hours. You will enjoy a delicious tender chicken for dinner. The fun part is you can create more dinners with the left over chicken and broth. Have fun!

3 comments:

Meems said...

I am very proud of you! It sounds yummy!!! You have come a long way, baby!!!!
Love ya, Mom

Rhonda said...

Thanks Mom. I hope I have come a long way. I will be holding more than raw chicken in my hands in my anatomy class.

julia said...

You are so brave! I've literally thrown away a whole chicken because I was so disgusted trying to get the dang skin off!