Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cute craft....no sewing required!

Have you seen those cute canvas wall hangings for rooms in your home? I love them. So, I got an idea in my head to try to make some for Jubal's room. I have heard of using styrofoam sheets as the base of the hanging. I went to the craft store to buy some but I changed my mind very quickly when I saw the price of one sheet: $5.99. I wanted to make four so you do the math. So I walked around trying to find an alternative. Sure enough I found a pack of 4 cork boards and the price was so much cheaper. It even came with mounting strips to hang the boards. I love it! So here is step by step how I made these cute little wall hangings for Jubal's room. If you are looking for something fun, easy, and cute to make for your child's room or even your own, this is a great way to do it! Get your creative juices together and make your own custom made wall art.

Supplies you need:

Fabric scraps of your choice
Glue gun
Rotary cutter or scissors
Ruler
Iron



Cut out your fabric to fit onto the cork. This cork is 12 x 12 so I cut my fabric piece 14 x 14. This gives you room to wrap it around the edges of the board. Iron the fabric so that it is wrinkle free.




Place the cork onto the wrong side of your fabric piece and center it the best you can.





With a glue gun, dot some glue on the corners and fold the fabric as shown.




Glue the sides




Turn over to see how cute it is!



Hang on the wall the way you like it and you are finished.
Easy peasy!














2 comments:

Maggie Elliott said...

What a super cute idea! I actually have a small cork board I picked up for 10 cents- this would be perfect! =)
Thanks for sharing!!

The Via Colony said...

I did squares like that to decorate Cai's baby room. I love how simple this is, yet so transforming for a room=)

I love the colors you picked!