Thursday, September 10, 2009

Coconut Rice and Beans recipe

I am really excited about this recipe. I got it off of 5 dollar dinners.com. I love beans and I LOVE coconut so this recipe sounds so good. I haven't tried it yet but I will be soon. I will let you know how it goes. If you try it, let me know what you think!

coconut-rice-and-beans


1 15 oz. can of lite coconut milk
About 1/3 cup of pineapple juice from a can of pineapple
1/2 cup of water
1 cup uncooked white rice
Salt/Pepper, to taste
2 cups cooked pinto beans
4 carrot sticks, peeled and cut into circles
Honey drizzles
2 broccoli heads

Directions
(1/2. Cook about 1 cup of pinto beans in 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium high. Cover and cook for 1.5 -2 hours, or until beans are soft. Remove from heat, drain liquid.)
1. In medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, pineapple juice and water to a rolling boil. Add 1 cup of rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for 5 more minutes (do not uncover!). Fluff with fork before adding the beans.
2. Combine beans and rice in saucepan.
3. Steam carrots in steamer, or cook in 1/2 cup of water in small saucepan. Drizzle with honey to sweeten them up a smidge!
4. Steam broccoli.
5. Serve Coconut Rice and Beans with Honey Sweetened Carrots and Steamed Broccoli!

1 comment:

julia said...

This looks really good, I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing!