Thursday, December 4, 2008

sacrifice


What do you think of when you hear or see the word sacrifice? Does it mean anything to you?
I wonder what it meant to Abraham when God told him to lay his precious son (that God had promised and that he and Sarah had longed for for a long time) on the altar. I wonder what went through his mind when he climbed up the mountain. I wonder what he was thinking when he told his servants that he and Isaac would be back after they worshipped together, knowing that he was going to kill his son. The scriptures don't record Abraham bargaining, or pleading. It records obedience early the next morning. To the point of binding up Isaac, laying him on the altar, and getting out his knife to kill his own son. Abraham's faith astounds me.

I can relate a little bit to Abraham. I have had a dream for a long time. Just recently, God has asked me to give this dream back to Him. To lay it on the altar, sacrifice it and let it go. He didn't say why or how or anything...just.... let go. I am in the process of slowly opening my hands, loosening my grip and walking up the mountain. It's one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. Yes, I believe there will be sadness for a while but I know that if I step out in faith and do what God has said, He will be faithful and guide me, one step at a time. I can learn a lot from Abraham.

Have you ever experienced sacrifice in your life? If so, I would love to hear about it and how God helped you through it.

1 comment:

My name is Stephen said...

you are awesome, I knew you would let go of your crack addiction sooner or later!!!