Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Velvet Elvis

I just finished reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. I had never heard of this author/pastor until just a few weeks ago. I was a little hesitant going into it but after reading the first chapter, I was really captured by the words in the book. It was a refreshing book for me in my journey as a believer in Christ. So over the next few days, I would like to share some of the things that really made an impression on me. I highly encourage you to read this book if you can.

It's okay to ask questions.

This is the first thing that encouraged and challenged me so much. Sometimes I feel like I have to have the answer to every question in my faith and life. I have even felt guilty sometimes when I had questions to things that I didn't understand. Questions bring freedom and they allow us to draw closer to God. After all, many people that are mentioned in scripture asked God questions. Mary, David, even Jesus, to name a few. It's okay. That's one way we can grow more intimate with someone, specifically Christ.

5 comments:

Sam and Sarah said...

We just finished this study for our small group last Spring - I found it very refreshing as well - it gets to be quite a controversial book, which is interesting... But I'm glad to see that you liked it!

Rhonda said...

Yeah, I can see where it would be controversial but is was really good. It has really helped me appreciate Jesus a lot more and what He did for us.

The Via Colony said...

Great post Rhonda!

Jules said...

Mmmm...love that book! His trampoline illustration really resonated with me.

Scott and I are listening to Sex God on audio.

Rhonda said...

I have heard that one is really good too. Let me know what you think, Julie.
Hope ya'll had fun in FL!
RJ