Sunday, January 13, 2008

Money Saver #2

Make your own household cleaners.

I started doing this over the summer and it is so fun, easy to make, and saves quite a bit of money. The properties are also very cleansing so you are getting rid of germs in a healthy way.

Baking soda and vinegar are wonderful cleaners and can be used by themselves. Vinegar can be used as a glass cleaner and baking soda can be used to clean other surfaces like the tub, sink, countertops, etc. Borax also kills mold and bacteria. You can usually find that in the laundry detergent section.

Here are a couple recipes that I use all the time. Be careful when adding baking soda and vinegar together because it gets bubbly real fast.

All Purpose Cleaner

1/2 cup vinegar

1/4 cup baking soda

1/2 gallon water

5-10 drops of essential oil, any kind

Combine in a bowl that's easy to pour from. Once mixed put into spray bottle.


Toilet Bowl Cleaner

1/4 cup baking soda

1 cup vinegar

Pour soda all over the toilet bowl. Pour vinegar on top. Let sit 8-10 minutes. Scrub bowl and rinse.


Stain Remover

Make a paste out of lemon juice and baking soda. Leave on stain for 30 minutes. Wash.


Air Fresheners

Dilute essential oil with distilled water in a spray bottle. Spray as needed.



****There is a lot of info on the internet too. You can do a search on green home cleaning recipes. I use this website as a resource: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088/clngrn.html.

Happy Cleaning!!!



5 comments:

Jules said...

Baking soda, vinegar, borax--good stuff!! I love how baking soda cleans. I'll add my favorite cloth wet wipes solution: water, couple drops lavendar oil, 1 Tbls Dr. Bronners Soap (though I look forward to the day I don't have to use it anymore!).
I don't use shampoo anymore either. I used water/baking soda. Sometimes an apple cider vinegar rinse.

Rhonda said...

OH, that's cool Julie about the hair rinse. I have also used rosemary water as a rinse and it made my hair so shiny and soft. I will try your recipe too. How much baking soda and water do you use?

Jules said...

The baking soda mix--well, I don't measure...it is all whim. I keep a bottle in the shower and I usually put maybe four tsp baking soda to a Ragu-size bottle of water. Maybe? Sorry, not much help. I'm terrible with measurements!

Beth Ensminger said...

Great ideas. I use baking soda and vinegar to clean some too... I have started making my own laundry soap too and love it.... let me know if you are interested and I will send it your way....

The Via Colony said...

I'm def. trying this one!! Rainy can help me clean if I make my own cleaners=)